blog description

Welcome to my blog! I am glad you stopped by. I created this blog to share my journaling experiences with raising 5 beautiful and busy children. 4 of my children are loving siblings to our youngest who has Unexplained Epilepsy and Special Needs. Regardless of our trials, I want all my children to have a great life.

#epilepsy #specialneedssiblings #specialneedskids #specialneedsmom #lennoxgastautsyndrome #seizuressuck #educateaboutepilepsy

Monday, November 5, 2018

How to Treat a Special Needs Child

  (At the Dinosaur Exhibit while visiting the Phoenix Zoo)

Treating Special Needs Children is not something you just know, for most. It is something you Learn. Some people are nervous of how to treat and talk to a child with Special Needs. Some people are nervous of saying the wrong thing. If you've been wondering how to talk and treat a Special Needs Child or a child that has Special Needs, look at their siblings and parents, they are the best example. We know we aren't the perfect examples, because we are all human and their siblings are kids as well, they are growing and learning too.


(Learning about Fossils while visiting the Phoenix Zoo)

Things to know that never is okay:
  • Talking rude to child
  • Shaming child
  • Cutting child off in mid-sentence
  • Ignoring them, not talking to them
  • Teasing, laughing at them 
  • Making the child feel like their feelings do not matter.

Special Needs Children are extra sensitive and pick up on when someone doesn't like them, when someone doesn't care about them, and when someone is making fun of them. 

It is very frustrating as a parent and siblings when children & Adults ignore the child with Special Needs. As a parent, I am quick to address my own children to treat Levi nice and to remind them to be an example to their friends.  Now my children are not perfect at this, but we strive to help others understand and help Levi feel accepted. 

As I type this, it is also hard for me to say that it is difficult to teach other children how to be nice to Levi who has Special Needs. I sometimes have to correct how to treat and speak to Levi with other kids who do not understand. I do this, because I am Levi's advocate and he cannot do this for himself. I do this, because he is a spirit from Heaven and one of Heavenly Father's children. Lastly, I do this because I love him and want him to be treated with Love.

Patience is Key when working with children, but especially when working with Special Needs children or children who have Special Needs. My husband Aaron is always a huge example to me with his patience! He has been patient with me when we were dating, through my bride-zilla moments as we were planning our wedding, and with each child we brought into the home. When stress rises, he is extra patient and reminds me to be more patient. I know that everyone doesn't mean to offend, we know that. We aren't perfect with our patience either. It is important to work together and know that with time and patience we can help children with Special Needs feel comfort, acceptance and Love. 



"Thou didst bear all these things with patience because the Lord was with thee."
 Alma 38:4-5.

"Continue in patience until ye are perfected. " 
D&C 67:13

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind."
Matthew 22:37




No comments:

Triggers

                                                                 (pictures from our doctor appointment) Yearly Appointments, we all know wha...