blog description

Welcome to my blog! I am glad you stopped by. I created this blog to share my journaling experiences with raising 5 beautiful and busy children. 4 of my children are loving siblings to our youngest who has Unexplained Epilepsy and Special Needs. Regardless of our trials, I want all my children to have a great life.

#epilepsy #specialneedssiblings #specialneedskids #specialneedsmom #lennoxgastautsyndrome #seizuressuck #educateaboutepilepsy

Monday, November 26, 2018

Special Needs Siblings- What Life is really like

As you know I have 5 children, 4 of them are "normal". Which simply means they do not have Special Needs. The siblings to a child with Special Needs has a lot of work on their plates. They have to adjust to a schedule and life they didn't choose. They have to help care for a Special Needs sibling, which is stressful and exhausting. My kids have to put their feelings aside and realize that their brother Levi can't handle the excitement, questions and interactions they want from him. They have to adjust that our lives aren't like their friends and we can't always do everything their friends' families can do. It has been so very tiring and exhausting on my other children. I see it everyday in their faces, in their behavior at home and when they explain their feelings to me.



(Tanner, Mckay, & Levi cashing in their free personal pan pizzas for good grades)

I have created a list of 5 ways to help Support Siblings of a Special Needs:

1.) Tell the siblings in words how you appreciate them.
I know I do not do this as often as I would like. I know that they need it more then I have expressed to them. My children are a HUGE help in my daily life, even the smallest tasks aren't over looked. Sometimes I forget to tell my children how much I appreciate them. I know that when I express my appreciation to them in details they love it.  I simply say things like "Thank you so much for making Levi a snack after school. I really appreciate you for serving your brother."


2.) Apologize that their schedules are chaotic.
It is not fair to the siblings schedule to be chaotic. They did not choose to have a brother with special needs and they did not choose that our schedules really have to revolve a lot around Levi. It's not fair to them and they need to hear that. I want them to know that I agree it isn't fair and I appreciate them for trying to adjust.  I have simply said "I am sorry our schedule is chaotic and stressful. I can tell you don't appreciate it and it stresses you out. I appreciate you for trying your best."


(At a Private Screening for Incredible 2 with our Orthodontist)
Tanner, Mckay, Levi, & Me




(Brayden & Levi spending time together after school)

3.) Spend One on One Time with Each Child.
I cannot stress this enough! When you have a Special Needs child in the home, your other children tend to get pushed to the side, because you are so busy being an advocate to your Special Needs child. It is not fair to them that you are exhausted and drained. It is not fair to them that you are overwhelmed and don't have enough time for them. They need that connection and love from you. What works best in our home is to schedule time out on the calendar. We agree on a date and time that works best for both of our schedules. Then we plan out what we are going to do.  Sometimes we watch a movie together, kids choice. Sometimes we play card games or board games together, kids choice. Sometimes we go shopping together and go out to lunch, listen to the kids talk about their day or vent.  How I get them to hang out with me, I simply say "Hey Brayden, I know I don't spend enough time with you, can you look at your schedule and I will take you out to lunch? What day works for you? Where do you want to go?"


(Aaron & Mckay at the Diamond Backs game- we were given 2 free tickets from Grandma)

4.) Connect with your children.
 I try to reach out to my children, one on one and let them know how much I appreciate them. I do not get the chance to do this everyday, but I try my best to speak to them with kind words. Give your children hugs, kisses on cheeks, words of appreciation, pats on their backs and smile at them.  When I do these things with my children, I can already tell they feel appreciated and loved. I give my teenagers Brayden & Brooklyn and well as my younger boys hugs and tell him how much I love him. When I talk to them in a kind heart and loving tone, they never push me back. My children have stressful lives at school and at home, I don't want them to ever feel like they aren't loved or not appreciated. I have said "Hey Brooklyn, How was your day at school? What was your favorite part at school today?"  "Brayden, what's your plans this weekend?"


(Brayden sleeps a lot in the car. I decided to snap pictures at every chance I get)

5.) Check in with them daily. 
Ask them about their day. Go through their schedule with them. I always tell my children that I love them before they leave for School. We strive to have prayers and scripture study before school (it doesn't always happen).  We carpool to school right now, and when I pick up, I welcome my children and carpool buddy in the car and listen to them telling me about their day on the way home. I ask about upcoming games they are playing in, I ask about upcoming tests and ask if I can help them study. I ask them how school was. I feel like it is always important to check in on my children and make sure they are okay. I want them to feel like their feelings and life matters, even though I have a busy schedule. I can make time for a check in.

Your children will feel loved even if you can do this checklist once a week. They want and need to feel that connection with you. It is something, us humans crave. Do your best! They will appreciate you for trying and asking.

No comments:

Triggers

                                                                 (pictures from our doctor appointment) Yearly Appointments, we all know wha...